Fwd: Re: building code minimums for wood frame

In a message dated 97-03-01 11:45:23 EST, ballense(--nospam--at)concentric.net wrote:

<< So, how would you propose we solve this?>>

I am not optimistic "solutions" can be found that will receive sufficiently
widespread acceptance to make a difference.  Pogo was right on.  History
offers scant evidence that a group of people will put the common interest
above self interest unless necessary for physical survival, or during periods
when their physical survival are threatened.  That obviously would be an
overdramatization of the situation facing the engineering community today.

But continuing failure at finding solutions aren't likely to lead to
catastrophes, of either the physical or financial kind.  We'll continue to
muddle along.  Truth be told, the current situation isn't depressing or
frustrating for some engineers.  Those members of this listserv who are with
established large consulting firms like Martin, EQE and Degenkolb, or with
design/build firms like Bechtel and Fluor, may be chuckling at these postings
that have discussed some realities for small firms, and observed by building
departments, that may bear little resemblence to their working environments.
 Ron Hamburger, consider sharing your thoughts on this issue.

Franklin Lew, SE