Fwd: Re: Ongoing discussion of professional practice

<<   Those members of this listserv who are with
 established large consulting firms like Martin, EQE and Degenkolb, or with
 design/build firms like Bechtel and Fluor, may be chuckling at these
postings
 that have discussed some realities for small firms, and observed by building
 departments, that may bear little resemblence to their working environments.

Responding from Martin & Bravo, Inc. in Honolulu, I assure you that we are by
no means immune from relationships with less than satisfactory results in
matters such as public safety, fees versus quality-based selection, and
competition from marginal "plan stampers."  These are universal problems, and
not confined to "small" firms.
(However, I should point out that our office here is a small business
concern, using the federal government's definition.)  At any rate, we all
have common interests in promoting ethical professional practices, including
filing complaints with registration boards(when we have the standing to do
so, i.e., we have been damaged).  In fact, our registration board feels that
engineers and architects are not being proactive enough.

Expressions of dismay posted on this listserver have limited effectiveness
one way or the other.  Let's agree that ethical professional practices need
reinforcement.

Gary Chock
SEAONC and SEAOH Member