Fwd: Re: malfeasance sanctions (was: code minimums)

>If the range
>of transgressions that licensees in my state are successfully disciplined
for
>are representive, very few of those 20 to 40 cases each year Minnesota will
>be on charges related to inadequate or incompetent design services, or
>rubberstamping.
Actually, most of the ones I recollect are for just that--practicing out
of area of expertise, plan stamping, advertising services not qualified
for (presumably this latter includes actually performing such services).
Florida has some specific rules about fire sprinkler design, and
installers get gigged for providing engineering services. I don't know
what that sort of this is called in California, but I think design of
emergency systems is no more a matter for hackery than aseismic
structural design.

>charges of practicing outside of area(s) of competence may more
>frequent due to greater temptations to engage in figureheading or
>rubberstamping.  These mal/misfeasance cases and cases involving
>procedural/statutory violations are beside the point,
Nonsense. If I strolled up and offered to provide a reinforced concrete
design, I should have my butt kicked just as hard in California as
Minnesota, since I'm not competent to do it.

>Progress in achieving the common goals of the engineering profession -
> compliance with the spirit of our licensing laws and canons of ethics -
>won't start until a significant percentage of us voluntarily subscribe to
>them.
We've already voluntarily subscribed to them. All 100% of us. Make all
the excuses you like, but holding ourselves individually accountable for
professional actions is the guts of a profession. And if we can't hold
ourselves accountable, with laws that have teeth, who else can?

http://www.skypoint.com/subscribers/chrisw