Fwd: Re: building code minimums for wood frame

Franklin Lew, SE wrote:

> Progress in achieving the common goals of the engineering profession -
>  compliance with the spirit of our licensing laws and canons of ethics -
> won't start until a significant percentage of us voluntarily subscribe to
> them.  In my opinion, at least 75% must do so, or the 26+% outside the fold
> will provide enough capacity for the bottom feeders to continue to depress
> the fee and quality levels and distort ethical business practices.  It's
> problematic whether that level can ever be achieved.

If you want to take significant steps in increasing the quality of
Structural Engineering, I would suggest the following steps be taken:

1.  Require licensed structural engineers to sign structural drawings
and calculations on all structures, including single family residential.
2.  Make the C.E. exam more difficult to pass, possibly having a special
section on structures required to be passed if you intend to take the SE
exam in the future. [the SE exam is already tough enough, no need to
mess with that:)]
3.  Make the E.I.T exam more difficult to pass.
4.  Require 4 years of experience between taking the E.I.T exam and the
C.E. exam.
5.  Require that a University degree be required to take the E.I.T.
exam.  The University Engineering program must meet certain minimum
standards to qualify as a qualified University degree.
6.  Require some kind of continuing education for those who hold their
SE license.  So many credits would be required before an SE could renew
his license.

This would make it much more difficult for people to qualify as a person
who could do structural design.  No more Architects, GeoTechnical,
Mechanical Engineers, or Civil Engineers doing structural design.
This would not eliminate all sub-standard designs, but it would in my
opinion, significantly increase the overall quality of structural
engineering.

As a side benefit to those who would still be qualified to do this kind
of work, you can bet that the fees to do this kind of work would go up
significantly.  Why you ask?  Because we will be tampering with the
"supply - demand" curve.  We will decrease the supply of people who can
do this kind of work, and that will result in an increase in the price
of that service.

Lynn