Fwd: Re: building code minimums for wood frame

>The above argument actually supports my skepticism better than any examples I
>could have come up with.  These statutes and canons of ethics have been on
>the books for decades.  Why, then, have the levels of professionalism
>remained so low?  A major reason is that, for most people, laws don't change
>behavior - incentives do!
The foregoing is a non-answer that begs the question, all in a single
paragraph. Society is hip-deep in incentives. Sounds like you're
recommending we ignore the law because it's inconvenient and runs
contrary to human nature. All laws run contrary to some aspect of human
nature and they all inconvenience someone--if they didn't we wouldn't
need them. A 'strategic plan' for decency is nonsense anyway--we all know
what decent behavior is.

>A reality check for Chris:  Request the Minnesota and Florida boards to
>provide you with a list of registrants who were disciplined or had licenses
>revoked
Both states publish all actions in their quarterly newsletters. Total
revocation is infrequent, most sanctions (5-10 per quarter) range from
mandatory ethics training to suspension for a period of years. Florida is
pretty tough. They have no qualms about pulling tickets, and the Florida
law is quite detailed. Minnesota's practice regarding snitching is to
investigate complaints anonymously. If action is brought the proceedings
are public only if necessary. I suspect most involve egregious behavior
or matters of public record and the board simply confronts the hack with
the stained carpet: I daresay the hack owns up and cops a plea to avoid
more serious sanctions.  Enough reality for you?

>The challenge remains to develop a better balance between group interest and
>self interest so that almost all registrants will have sufficient incentives
>to support and comply with the spirit of the laws noted above.  It is a very
>daunting challenge, appropriate for the bright minds that inhabit this
>listserv to tackle.  I look forward to reading your contributions.
Such a lukewarm pronouncement is the problem, not the solution. As a
registrant, we are obligated to put the public interest paramount. It
ain't no 'strategic plan' just the fact of registration. To be
even-handed, we aren't obligated to starve to death to fulfill our public
duty, but I doubt if that's ever been necessary. The point has been made
in this thread several times--hanging out with scavengers isn't that far
removed from starvation, anyway.

http://www.skypoint.com/subscribers/chrisw