Fwd: Re: Deck structure attached through Stucco

I have seen numerous examples of this condition after 10 to 15 years in place
where the ledger has significant dry rot due to its close contact with the
stucco and the ability of the stucco to hold moisture against the wood.  You
might want to discuss the longer term performance with your client.  I have
found that most homeowners are very sensitive to long term
performance(although a few are not).

If it is installed without removing the stucco, use of standoff blocks (at
least 1x material) minimizes the dry rot but introduces significant bending
in the ledger bolts.  Cross grain bending in the ledger will be a problem
whether tight against the stucco or standing off.  In the hill area of
Berkeley, I've seen soil movements of the outer deck supports be sufficient
to fail ledgers in cross grain bending.

Bill Cain, SE
Oakloand, CA