Fwd: Re: Deck structure attached through Stucco

AnandNene(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

>  My client was advised by a contractor that removal of stucco is not
> necessary.  Obviously this is cheaper solution, but I am not comfortable
with
> this situation.  I have advised my clients accordingly.

What decent designer hasn't heard this said about their designs before:
"This [insert detail] is not really necessary, it just adds expense and
time. Take it from me, I've built hundreds of these [insert structure]
and have never had a problem."

How are you going to keep the stucco from being damaged and becoming
subject to leakage? When the deck moves, as it most likely will with the
contractor's connection, won't it be banging into the building's stucco?

How good a job does the owner want?

--
[Ted Partrick, PE		 Nothing I'm mailing is official, it is all      ]
[Structural Engineer             personal. However, I do take my work