Fwd: Re: Monlithic or Two Pour Slab on Grade

Here in Simi Valley in 1994 (Northridge EQ), many homes actually
separated at the cold joint and the slab slid off the footings.   Repair
costs were of course very high. In Canyon Country and areas of San
Fernando Valley, many foundation anchor bolts failed by breaking out the
edge of the concrete slab.  Most of these appeared to have also been
two-pour slabs-on-grade, with a cold joint.  Again high repair costs.
My recommendation is either to insist on monolithic, or provide both
edge dowels, bent into the slab and a continuous bar at the edges, tied
to the dowels. These will provide some confinement for the AB's.  Assume
a cold joint separation and design dowels and anchors accordingly.  For
highly loaded anchor bolts, consider a "hairpin bar" around each AB.

Russ Nester
rnester(--nospam--at)juno.com