Fwd: Re: Inspection and the Engineer

>Special inspection firms  will be only as good or as qualified as the special
>inspector they employ. So, what will make a company a " qualified specialty
>Inspection company" ???
>It is the individuals that are licensed (like in engineering) and not the
>company.
>
>Antonio S. "Tony" Luisoni

Of course it is the individuals that are licensed......
However, Special Inspection firm accreditation will clearly establish a
quality system that takes into consideration many elements of Special
Inspection, only one of which is the qualification of Special Inspectors
which is far more rigid and comprehensive than any licensing program in
existence now, and does include the municipal licensing as required per
project.  Most municipalities don't have the budget to develop and enforce
a Special Inspector competency program and rely on others or the ICBO
Certification which was never meant to be more than a measure of code
knowledge and not a measure of Inspector competency.
Quality Inspectors are developed, groomed and supported by a system that
will maintain quality checks and to include additional certifications
through ACI or AWS or ASNT or NICET as required.
Accountability, project monitoring, work experience, Staff Engineer, access
to resources, database management, retrievable records archives, prompt
dissemination of reports, continuing education requirements are just some
of the issues addressed in accreditation.
As I said in my post, we have spent almost 5 years in the research and
development of Special Inspection firm accreditation.  The Engineering
community, the Standards community and the Code community realizes this is
an area which has been assumed, in many cases, to already exist.  Well it
doesn't, at least not yet.  Section 106 of the UBC refers to the "names of
the individuals or firms that will be performing the special
inspection...".  What firms?  What qualifies them?  Where is the measure of
quality control?
Your carriers have a problem with this code wording in terms of liability
because of the exclusivity it creates.  With accreditation in place, the
Engineer could feel comfortable in specifying a specific firm "or another
firm accreditated to ASTM E-329 95c" or another developed Inspection firm
criteria which establishes a set of solid requirements to help ensure
quality inspection.
You guys develop calcs and plans which are then plan checked; this will
give yet another measure of quality assurance in the construction process.
Your response was so simplistic, I have to assume you just dashed it off.

R. Sandy Pringle			            Sandy Pringle & Associates
sandyp(--nospam--at)spasic.com 		            STRUCTURAL INSPECTION CONSULTANTS
http://www.beachnet.com/~sandyp/index.htm   (800)598-1970    Fax(310)376-5294

		       		             Hermosa Beach & Redondo Beach, CA

	Be the master of your will and the slave of your conscience.