Fwd: Re: GOOD STRUCTURAL PROGRAMS

In article <01BC3482.4CF74E80(--nospam--at)zaire.dnc.net>,
jmccormi(--nospam--at)dnc.net (Joe McCormick) wrote:
>Although STAAD-III has caused me headaches at times (what software =
>hasn't?), I think it is generally undeserving of the beating it took =
>recently on the listserver!  STAAD-III is a pretty good piece of =
>software although it can be very unforgiving to some user errors (i.e. =
>fatal error crashes), which is annoying.

In general, I have found over my eight years of using STAAD III (user
since around version 7 or so), that it's not really the PROGRAM ITSELF,
that's the problem, but rather Research Engineers.

They hype the program, and promise features out the wazoo, then take
forever to deliver on the promises.  Meanwhile, the ignore the bugs!
They have steadfastly REFUSED over the years to make ANY improvements to
the Concrete Design facility for example (I refuse to use it, and will
not allow any of the junior engineers under me to do so either).

The graphical interface is still woefully lacking, and is buggy.

One pet peeve of mine is that, while I use it under Windows NT (a
necessary evil), parts of it are still 16-bit Windows, esp. the editor,
so that you cannot use long filenames for your models.

And there are still many, many errors that are not trapped by the
program itself, so you end up with arcane error messages generated by
the compiler, which tell you NOTHING.

I feel that over the years I've pushed STAAD about as far as it can go,
but it is still SO underpowered and bug-ridden, compared to the strides
made in other PC software over that span of time.

BTW, I once complained about some shoddy handling of our company's
account with RE on the STAADUG listserv, and my company was sent a
letter by RE demanding that I apologize!  And the post by me was made on
MY own time using MY personal internet account FROM HOME!  That's
paranoia!