Fwd: Re: GOOD STRUCTURAL PROGRAMS

From: Joe McCormick <jmccormi(--nospam--at)dnc.net>
To: 'seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org'
Subject: RE: GOOD STRUCTURAL PROGRAMS
Date: Wednesday, March 19, 1997 4:24 PM

Although STAAD-III has caused me headaches at times (what software
hasn't?), I think it is generally undeserving of the beating it took
recently on the listserver!  STAAD-III is a pretty good piece of software
although it can be very unforgiving to some user errors (i.e. fatal error
crashes), which is annoying.  This said, although I'm not as familiar with
it as STAAD, I have found ETABS to be quite efficient for *buildings* and
generally superior to STAAD in this regard, especially for dynamic
analysis.  ETABS is just plain set up better for doing buildings.  For an
*industrial* environment though, given only one piece of structural design
software to use, I would choose STAAD-III over all others for its
versatility and comprehesiveness, especially with regard to braced steel
frames!  I'd like to hear more from others on this thread, especially from
the smaller design offices.  Good topic!