Fwd: Re: Concrete in Salt Water Environment

nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net wrote:

  I notice nobody is bringing up corrosion inhibitors, penetrating
  sealers such as the Armatec product from
  Sika, or surface treatments such as silanes or siloxanes in response
  to Lynn's question.  Has no one had
  experience with such approaches, or have some of you had such
  experience and regretted the choice?

  Nigel

Nigel,
I thought of the corrosion inhibitors after posting my first message.  I
just finished comprehensive research of various inhibitors, including
the migrating type.  My particular application was for use on deck
restorations on a high-rise condominium..  We're using Migrating
Corrosion Inhibitors (MCI) on existing concrete, and Corrosion Inhibitor
Additives in the new concrete patches.  I'm not convinced that the
manufacturer's claims for these products have been validated, but the
price is attractive even if they're only 'somewhat' effective.  I'll let
you know how well these products work in about 10 or 15 years.

Lew