Fwd: Re: Concrete in Salt Water Environment

nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net wrote:
>  We use a lot of it in our bridge decks here in Montana.  It's undeniably
nicked and scratched.  The
> contractor's supposed to fix that in the field, but you know how that goes.
 Anyway, the Wiss, Janney and
> Elstner report to the contrary, it sure seems to add *some* to the deck
life.  On the other hand, we've
> only been using it for about fifteen years, so we don't have a definitive
answer yet.  The epoxy coating
> is pretty cheap additional insurance, and it sure doesn't hurt anything.  I
wouldn't rely *only* on that
> for protection though, but use the other measures Lynn and others have
listed along with the epoxy bars.

> Nigel
The only thing I am worried about is that from what I have read, if the
"other measures" fail, and a nicked section of the bar start to rust,
the epoxy coating actually accelerates the problem.  I guess it is going
to have to be one of the "Engineering Judgement" calls.  I just wish I
had more experience in this area so that my judgement was more sound.

Thanks for your advice.

Lynn