Fwd: Re: Concrete in Salt Water Environment

GCHOCK(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
> I hate to be the one to throw cold water on some of the recent postings,
but.
> . .

Cold water is appreciated here!! :)

> The discussion of epoxy-coated rebar has understated the real problem with
> "holidays", the penetrations through the epoxy coating which in general are
> not visible But Always present, and very large in comparison to water and
> chloride ions and most highly significant to corrosion.  These become sites
> for accelerated corrosion which invariably reaches below the coating and
> travels laterally, eventually shedding the epoxy due to expansion.  Field
> coating of visible damage is almost illusionary in providing a solution to
> these sites of corrosion, i.e., it practically is close to as good as
> nothing!  You should read the Wiss Janney Elstner reports on corrosion of
> rebar with various treatments to get a more realistic viewpoint of relative
> effectiveness.

I have read some similar reports, and that is why I have posted this
question. I have read similar reports that galvanizing is great, or
worthless, depending on who's report you read.  Despite all the negative
reports on Epoxy caoting of rebar, there are still very significant
projects being designed and built with epoxy coating.  Some by Engineers
who are very qualified in this area.  If I go by the reports I have
read, I would not use epoxy coating.  But I wonder, when I see brand new
seawater structures just starting construction that are using epoxy
coating.  I ask myself what these very experienced engineers know that I
do not.  Why are they still using epoxy coating when there are so many
negative studies our there on the subject?

Lynn