Fwd: Concrete in Salt Water Environment

Dear List Members:
We are involved in designing some structures that are for use in a
research laboratory for marine environment (salt water).  This is here
in the US, and is in an area where freeze-thaw cycle is not an issue
(Santa Barbara).
I am in a quandary as to what to do with the reinforcing steel.  We are
going to use type V concrete, cover all steel with 2.5" minimum cover,
use a strength of concrete in the range of 5000 to 7000 psi, and use a
low W/C ratio (around .45)
We are also going to be using a carefully selected source and gradation
for our aggregate, to get a high density, low permeable, low reactive
mix.  We are considering using some of the admixtures that increase the
density of the mix.

>From what I have read, the issue listed above are pretty much agreed
upon by most professional in the design of concrete for a seawater
environment.  However, as I read studies and articles, there is a big
disagreement on what should be done with the rebar.  Epoxy coating,
galvanizing, other treatments to rebar, and just using normal untreated
steel seem to have their supporters and critics.  It seems that plain
old steel without any treatment may be the way to go, if you use a good
high density mix with plenty of cover over the rebar.  I am leaning in
that direction, but the Owner (State of Calif.) seems to think that we
should do something to the steel, and they do not feel comfortable
without some kind of treatment to the steel.

If someone who has had experience in this area could comment on what
their views are, I would really appreciate it.  I have read many studies
and articles in Concrete publications (ACI, etc.), but there does not
seem to be a consensus on this issue.

Thanks

Lynn