Fwd: Re: Concrete in Salt Water Environment

Rlfong(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
> It is absolutely astounding to me that on a glorious sunny California day,
>  so many of us would be reading this newslist and responding so quickly,
on
>  Palm Sunday to boot!!!
>
> My 2 cents from experience at the Port of Oakland where we had about 20,000
> piles built/maintained is you're on the right track with the (1) lower w/c
> 0.4-0.45.  use o.4 if possible.  (2) higher strength concrete 6000 psi or
> greater helps;  The combination will help minimize the microcracks for
> water/chloride penetration (3)  epoxy coated rebar as an additional layer
of
> defense is still recommended,   but only with vigorous inspection.   You
have
> to find the right inspector or R.E. willing to shove the contractor back on
> the inevitable nicks and dings on the coating.  Otherwise,  it is a waste
of
> money  (4) 2.5" cover is minimal.   At the Port,  we used 3" to provide
more
> cover to protect the rebar.  the additional depth also provides a greater
> degree of latitude for construction bloopers. (5)  lastly,  the sacrifacial
> anode is a good alternative / backup to a hard-wired cathode protection.
>  Just have to remember to replace the metal every couple of years.  My
2cents
> only.

Ron-
Thanks for the info.  I am really worried about very small nicks that
might develop during installation.  I know that you can have very high
quailty control while the epoxy is being put on the rebar in the plant.
But how would an inspector be able to find all the little nicks that
could develop during intallation.  The Inspector would have to spen
hours going over the rebar before each pour.

What do they use for tie wire?  Obviously they do not use the normal
steel wire.

Thanks

Lynn