Fwd: Re: Cable and Fabric Structures

is,

"Design Fundamentals of Cable Roof Structures," a U. S. Steel publication
written by, J. B. Scalzi, W. Podolny, and W. C. Teng.

There is a structural engineering firm in Ohio that apparently does the
engineering for one of the fabric structure companies (which one, I don't
know).
Their name is,

H. B. Daugherty, P.E.
Consulting Engineers
6776 Providence St.
P. O. Box 2854
Whitehouse, Ohio  43571
Voice:	(419) 877-0243
Fax:	(419) 877-9488

This is current as of May, 1996.  I got involved in determining if parts of
an
existing structure would be adequate to anchor ***TREMENDOUS*** forces from
the
canopy.

I would imagine that any fabric structure company would have their own
engineers
to do the design and provide the SEOR with the forces to the foundation or to
other structures and I would suggest that the design be left up to them.

I toyed with a cable structure many years ago when an eccentric, very wealthy
widow wanted to build an aviary on her property.  Displacement geometry,
including cable elongation, on the cables has a tremendous effect on cable
forces and this had to be accounted for by iteration.  (This was B.C. [Before
Computers]).  She changed her mind and the aviary was never built, so my
total
experience with cable structures has been in doing only the preliminay
calculations.

Roger Turk, P.E.(S)
Tucson, Arizona