Fwd: Posts on Sill Plates

On 3-29-97, you write,

"With regard to wood column bases...I have had the same problem and the same
question for a while.  The way I've traditionally handled it in the past:

If a post buried in a stud wall and does not see uplift or a large
out-of-plane wall load and does not put the sill plate in excessive
compression perp. to grain, I would feel comfortable omitting the
requirement for a fabricated post base.  I would simply have the post toe
nailed to the sill plate and securely attatched to the sheathing.

Is this line of reasoning a mistake?"

I'm in agreement with the post on sill plate people.  I feel that the
biggest problems arise out of starting and stopping the sill plate for any
type of hardware.  The contractors rarely seem to plan their anchor bolt
locations with respect to ends of walls, penetrations or notches in the sill
plate and sill plate splices, so unless it is absolutely necessary, I never
break the sill plate for a post.  We even tried to bear steel columns with
small loads (less than 8K) on the sill plate for a while, but that didn't
work out so well with coordinating work between the steel erector and the
framer.

As we saw in Northridge, there were lots of problems with sill plates, and
I'm of the opinion that the less interruptions, the better the wall
performance will be.

If you have lateral loads to consider, if you can develop enough lateral
load from the post to the plate with  A34's or A35's, you can always specify
additional anchor bolts adjacent to the post to anchor the sill.  If you do
have trimmers, as in the case with most window and door openings, you can
attach anchors to the trimmers if their are nailed to the post adequately,
or place the trimmers over A34's or 35's.

I like the idea of edge nailing to the post to capture dead load for
overturning, but have to admit I have not used it,but will use it in the
future if I am counting on a post dead load to resist overturning.

That's my $0.01 worth,

Jeff Crosier, continuouS sill platE advocate