Fwd: Re: Opinions for List Server

> Bill Allen's hope for something constructive to come out of the
discussions
> on "Quality Issues in Engineering" is still alive, at least for me. I've
been
> following this thread and printing most of the opinions for my file, and
> hopefully, if I have enough time, I'll try to summarize them, indicating
> different opinions from various engineers and convert  it into a form of
> "Letter to SEAOC President from Concerned Engineers from the SEAOC
> Listserver". I'll post this summary when I'm done and hopefully get some
more
> opnions, corrections or comments.
>
> I remember a previous thread of discussions about the provisions of the
UBC
> on conventional light frame wood construction where structural analysis
and
> signature of a licensed engineer is not required if they followed these
> provisions. There was a major concern about appropriate connections at
the
> top of interior shear walls which was not adequately addressed by the UBC
> provision and may cause structural inadequacy of the building to properly
> resists lateral loads. After a few discussions, the thread stopped. This
is
> one of those issues which I was hoping too that concerned engineers in
our
> group can do something positive and constructive.
>
> Here's my thought. If only we have a step-by-step procedure on how to do
it,
> maybe it will happen. For example, after an issue has been discussed for
> while and a summary letter is drafted with signatures from engineers
> participating in the discussions, the "Final Letter" is sent to
appropriate
> Government Agencies or Organizations who are in a position to act on this
> mattter. And I hope that if they receive letters from other groups on
> simmilar issues or concerns, they might do something about it. If there
are
> enough people voicing similar concerns, I don't think they can afford to
> ignore them.
>
> Now, if we can just write down a step-by-step procedure on what to do
from
> the time we start a discussion on a particular issue, getting people to
> participate in the discussion, get one person to be in charge of keeping
> track of names and opinions, prepare a summary, draft a letter, etc. This
> will take extra effort and time on our part but it is one way of
achieving
> our goal.
>
> I'll try doing this on the issue of "Quality..." and let's see how it
goes. I

Wow! I'm encouraged. I think the first thing we should do is find out how
many other participants are interested in this issue to the extent of
producing something concrete. This should be a simple yea/nay vote. I
believe if there was a significant interest, then someone should prepare a
simple survey form (yes, no, I don't know, I don't care) developed as a web
page at the SEAOC web site. This survey data could be tallied a lot easier
this way. Also, I believe names should be required on the form and limit
the survey participation to voting members of SEAOC. This is just one
suggestion. I'm sure there are several ways of doing this.

The other extreme would be just to send the printouts of the comments on
this subject to the SEAOC leadership and request for a response.

Regards,
Bill Allen