Fwd: Re: Advertising of the list -Reply

I believe that a software vendor who hires tech support personnel that
gives you bad advice or the run around or cannot understand the problem you
are having with the software is guilty of having bad tech support as much
as the vendor who has a buggy program.

When I once tried to install PC Anywhere 32, I had problems. The Symantec
tech support was great. Very responsive. To the point. I could tell they
are not ashamed of their product when they put their tech support phone
number under the "help" toolbar. Most vendors bury the "customer service"
phone number deep inside the manuals. On the other hand, When I was having
trouble with my Colorado Tape software, the tech support person was taking
my problem very lightly and was actually playing around with someone in the
office while trying to help me out. The advise was pretty worthless and I
was left trying to get my tape drive working on my own. Since that
experience, I now have a Ditto drive (surprise!).

I happen to think that a well written program needs no tech support or
manuals. The misunderstanding is not by the "user". I've been told by
someone who writes software that I respect that there is no such thing as
"operator errors", just shortcomings of the software. One of the most
tedious jobs is to properly error trap a piece of software. Some vendors
want to put this off onto an unsuspecting user.

I respect your opinion and I don't have any problem with it. However, we
don't really know how good a tech support system is until after we buy the
software. I think it is fair to report poor tech support response as a
benefit to those who are considering buying the software.

Regards,
Bill Allen