Fwd: Re: plywood shear transfer detail

Sasha Itsekson wrote:

>The way one can deal with it is by nailing
> the plywood to the bottom plate and nailing both plates together >with
16d at edge nailing spacing staggered.

Something to consider...elecetricians and plumbers won't be terribly happy
if the top plate has nails in it every 4 inches as this makes installing
conduit and pipe difficult.  I did this *once* and had the contractor all
over me!  I specify bolts between the two top plates now whenever the
diaphragm force exceeds the code minimum nailing of 16d's at 16" oc...works
out well because contractors almost never miss the call out for bolts
through the top plates (expect phone calls), but are apt to "overlook"
special nailing requirements of the top plate when they hire their framers!