Fwd: Re: Opinions for List -power from the community

> From: GCHOCK(--nospam--at)aol.com
> To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
> Subject: Re: Opinions for List -power from the community
> Date: Monday, March 31, 1997 6:01 PM
> I think that the lack of representative participation in the listserver
is
> not at all really related to others being intimidated by electronic
> communication; the underlying hesistation is probably more due to most
> individuals not having personal, professional, or SEAOC committee contact
> over which to build a background of knowledge both of the individual and
> opinions about the individual from others.  That is something basic about
> professional and business relationships which email does not fully meet.
>
> Gary Chock

I'm not sure I understand the point being made here. This post, I thought,
was in response to a query about the participants of this listserve being
representative of the membership of SEAOC. I believe this is a valid query.
However, the final comment suggests that the relationships made on the 'net
are somehow incomplete and therefore invalid. I certainly don't agree, if
that was the point.

During the past seventeen years of paying dues, I have made efforts to
attend dinner meetings, meet the leadership and attend committee meetings.
When I have had an opinion that I wanted to express, I have written letters
to the president of the local chapter (without response). The committee
meetings I have attended appeared to have a pre-ordained conclusion
dominated by a few individuals. It shouldn't be surprising that I attend
few dinner meetings anymore.

To the contrary, during my personal participation in this listserv the past
few months I have made new relationships with people I respect (not
necessarily agree). The topics have been a lot more interesting. I have
seen more active participation here than in any committee meeting. And, I
believe, something concrete soon will result from some of the threads
discussed here.

Professional relationships can be built in many ways. Attending a dinner
meeting is one way. Participating in a committee is another. Participating
in a listserv is a viable alternative to the above. Actually, I look
forward to the time when committee work can be achieved over the 'net.
Until then, I'll still pay my dues. It's cheaper than my isp service.
Besides, it's the only way I can get a monthly copy of SEAOC Online!

Regards,
Bill Allen