From: Dennis S. Wish PE <wish(--nospam--at)cyberg8t.com>
To: 'seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org'
Subject: RE: Dead Load On Shear Walls
Date: Tuesday, April 01, 1997 8:42 PM

Bill, there is one flaw that I see with your reasoning. Forgeting the
concrete foundation for one moment, the governing factor will be the
capacity of the holddown at the connection to the shearwall. If there is no
positive connection from the perpendicular crosswall "within" the shearwall
by transfer, AND if the resistance to uplift is considered from the
crosswall, then the holddown connection may not be designed adequately.
Without the possitive connection of the crosswall above the foundation to
the shearwall, the shearwall will uplift and the connection at the holddown
will probably fail in the post (ie, if the holddown required without
consideration for the crosswall is an HD7 but becomes an HD2 with the wall,
the HD2 may fail without positive conneciton of the crosswall above the
slab).
Unless I missed something from your post, I think you missed this one.

Dennis