Fwd: Re: plywood shear transfer detail

This response may apply to two threads. Based on the "Conventional Framing
Provisions" of the UBC, the top plates are nailed with 16d @ 16". Of
course, this is only good for about 140 PLF. I believe that the nailing of
the top plates together should be part of the shear wall schedule as would
be the sole plate nailing, etc.

Now for the "Convention Framing Provisions" issue. While this seciton of
the Code is handy for a junior engineer to get a feel for what the
"minimums" might be, this section of the Code is perceived by many
(Contractors and Architects) as "Standard" framing. As soon as we specify
anything greater than this, we are subject to the criticism of
over-engineering. There are several sections to this Code where it is not
appropriate even for the simplest of structures. For example, the face
nailing of the roof rafter to the ceiling joist will not transfer the
tension forces induced by truss action of roof framing. Top plate splices
are another example.

I believe either this section should be removed from the Code or the
disclaimers should me made more obvious so that it doesn't mislead
Contractors or Architects. I compare this section of the Code to the
standard details provided by many building departments for the "famous"
6'-0" block fences which don't calc. either.

Regards,
Bill Allen