Fwd: Interior partitions and pre-mfg trusses

I agree completely with Dennis that the conventional framing section of the
code is something that should go by the way of the dinasours.  At least in
zones 3 and 4...too many things can go wrong, and they're all in the
details!

I was talking to an engineer of veritable seniority over myself about home
construction and pre-manufactured trusses resting on interior walls.  Of
course, the code requires that a gap be left between the interior partition
walls not designated as bearing walls and trusses for obvious reasons.  He
told me that people simply didn't build homes that way.  They toe nail the
trusses to the partition walls and omit the gaps.  My experience is that
some inspectors let this simple item, which has major implications, slip
by.  Contractors don't care that trusses have specific load paths and
points of support!  I called one manufacturer of trusses based in Portland,
Oregon to talk to an engineer on a custom home they were providing trusses
on (with a tile roof and 25 PSF ground snow load) only to find out that
their nearest engineer was in Sacramento, California and that the
"designer" who specified the job was a salesman without any engineering
background with a computer program to crunch numbers!  OK, so houses are
small structures, and their costs touch many aspects of what it means to
have a family in the US.  Making them more expensive deprives people of the
American Dream, right?  Maybe so, but as a community of professionals,
don't we have an obligation to the public to expose deficient practices
when we see them?  And even if homes are small, they are some of the MOST
IMPORTANT STRUCTURES built!  These are places where people spend copious
amounts of time, store their stuff and shelter their familys. Engineers
should be involved.  Prescriptive paths should be severly restricted with
numerous stipulations and exceptions.  Inspections should be by educated
individuals, and contractors should have a rudimentary understanding of
basic statics.  Down with the current conventional framing section of the
code!