Fwd: Re: Limit of Liability

On 8 April 1997, Tom Harris wrote:

>The expert will then have several thousand $ fee that the lawyer has
to pay.<

Unless lawyers handling contingency fee cases in California work
differently than lawyers in Arizona, *NOTHING* comes out of the
lawyer's pocket.  Contingency fee cases are the contingency fee *plus*
costs, and experts' fees are costs as well as copying at 25 to 50
cents a page.  I have been told by lawyers that they are not permitted
by the Arizona State Bar to even advance experts' fees, but I think
that, if that is true, they can find their way around it if they want
to.

Another item in lawyers contingency fee contracts that I have *heard*
about is that if the client fires the lawyer, hires another lawyer, or
decides to drop the lawsuit, then the client *has* to pay the lawyer
(and probably everyone else in that firm that kibitzed on the case),
at his/her hourly rate, for the time that had been spent in addition
to costs.  In other words, if a lawyer drags his/her feet on a case
until the client gets disgusted and hires another lawyer, he/she gets
paid for the time spent, so apparently the only way for a lawyer to
lose money on a contingency fee case is to lose the case.  (Talk about
things that people will sign!)

Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona