Fwd: Re: Fire Damages Structures

<< Subj:	Fire Damages Structures
 Date:	97-04-08 19:56:01 EDT
 From:	ballense(--nospam--at)concentric.net (Bill Allen, S.E.)
 Reply-to:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
 To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org (SEAOC List Serve)

 I've been asked to look at a tilt wall building with recent fire damage. I
 haven't seen the structure yet, but I understand the purlins and GLBs are
 charred. There is also some spalling in the tilt wall panels.

 Is anyone familar with guidelines that will help determine what has to be
 replaced and what can remain. My common sense is telling me that the
 purlins are probably bad, the GLBs might be OK and I have some concern
 about the spalled concrete since this is probably due to the expansion of
 the reinforcing steel.

 Thanks,
 Bill Allen

Bill,

I would go along with your initial assumptions.  The purlins are bad if they
have been charred by the fire, and I would say the same for the glu-lam
beams.  I know the glu-lam might be considered heavy timber, but because of
the reduced effective member properties (Ix, Sx, A) due to charring do you
want to take the liability for the saying the beam is still OK even if it
calc's out.  What is the integrity of the glue between the laminations after
being exposed to the heat of the fire.

I have done one fire repair which involved gang-nail trusses on a commercial
building.  All the roof trusses collapased on one side of the building due to
the fire.  If the trusses showed signs of fire damage, they were replaced.
 If it was just smoke stains on the trusses they were allowed to remain.

I imagine the spalled concrete is near the wall base, because of more
combustible material and furniture then at the roof line.  On our job we had
to replace the wood ledgers to the existing CMU walls.  We tested all the
remaining ledger anchor bolts in tension per CMU cast-in-place anchor bolt
values listed in the UBC.  We found we had to replace some anchor bolts
because of ungrouted cells in one wall.  We also took some wall cores to
determine the wall strength which tested out OK.  We had no real spalling
damage that had to be repaired.

I would be curious to know about any written guidelines also.

Hope this helps.

Michael Cochran
Brian L. Cochran Associates