Fwd: Re: connection between double angles

>----------

John :

I think you have your questions on double angles as a compression member
answered .  But  here is an approach that I would do :

Considering the Double angles as a beam and simply-supported at both
ends.
Apply a concentrated load P at the mid span in  out of plane direction.
Increase the P until the combined section reach it plastic moment  Mp.
Now, you find shear  in the member due to this plastic moment.
Design the welds required by the shear ( like any horizontal shear in
beam).
Normally,  we put shim plates( or spacer plates) between the angles and
provide fillet welds.    With this approach,  the member will be good as
compression  member as well as beam member for out of plane loads.   The
basic idea is to decrease the  KL / r  and increase compression capacity
without buckling.
Hope this approach will provide you some idea.