Fwd: Re: Concrete Wraps

Barry H. Welliver wrote:

>I observed some testing of a concrete beam column joint before theSEAU
> meeting last night and was told that they use this stuff in CA all the
> time for retro of joints light in ductility. The material is a
> carbon??-fiber mishmash bonded around a member and appears to improve
> the performance of the joint. I'm assuming someone here could point me
> to a manufacturer and possible appropriate data. My interests are in
> it's use for unreinforced masonry construction. All comments welcomed.
> wellive(--nospam--at)ibm.net

UCSD has done a substantial amount of work on the fiber retrofit
reinforcement of RC components.  Hexcel-Fyfe was one of the first
players in this field (fiberglas) since that time other manufactures
have become interested.  CalTrans is very interested in this process and
has funded some of the laboratory testing.  UC Irvine is currently
working a project to investigate the the performance of various
manufacturers' materials specically for round, square and rectangular
columns. For more info contact Dr. Hussain Bhatia web site at
http://www.eng.uci.edu/~hbhatia/www

 Robert Kazanjy, PE
 Senior Development Engineer
 Civil & Environmental Engineering