Fwd: Re: Engineering Issues ad nauseum

>3.  Architects should not be allowed to sign for any engineering.  They
>don't have the training or knowledge.  They only learn general principals,
>not details.  The architects exam is not very deep, but long.  It is all
>very general.  You don't have to know a lot about anything, but you need to
>know a little about a lot of things.  In 30 years of practicing structural
>engineering, I've only met 5 architects I thought were capable of doing a
>competent job of engineering.  All 5 of those are also licensed structural
>engineers.
>
>Dennis McCroskey
>Structural Engineer/Architect

I usually try to filter out whatever architect-trashing that goes on on this
list, however in this case I have taken note and thought about the issue.
Through NCARB reciprocity agreements, I am eligible for registration as an
architect in CA.
This would allow me to sign for engineering design? Wow. This is truly
shocking. Although my subscription to  this list suggests I would have
greater than average interest in engineering issues for an architect, there
is no possible way that an architect's typical education and experience
would qualify him/her for actually practicing engineering. In the past it
may have, but certainly not at the present time. Now  you have almost scared
me out of even visiting CA, or at least staying out of buildings when there
;^)

In British Columbia, architects and engineers have a 'memoranda of
agreement' to not do each others work, so architects cannot sign for
engineering, and engineers cannot design buildings (with some exceptions for
industrial type buildings)

Maura Gatensby Architect
Vancouver, Canada