Fwd: National Codes - Is the profession unified in the creation?

In recent discussions with other engineers, it appears as though there =
is a major discontinuity between those engineers practicing in area's =
other than seismic zone 3 and 4. When I questioned why this exists, it =
was explained to me that engineers in other parts of the country think =
that California (or any area in zones 3 & 4) are only concerned with =
seismic safety.
It is also my understanding that there is very little community =
discussion between organizations or committees that are in the process =
of combining and working through codes.
Now, I don't know how much validity there is to this belief, but feel =
that it is very important for engineers in all regions of the country to =
pool their knowledge for the uniform code.=20
Wind design is a consideration in all zone and tends to govern on light =
weight structures - even in Calfornia.=20
I would hope that with over 2,000 engineers subscribed to this list that =
the discussion of Wind loads is worked to death so that we can reach an =
agreement as to the methods and proceedures are established before the =
publication of a unified code.
I would like some opinions as to how this List can be used to help the =
development of the work that all structural engineering professional =
affiliations are working with. This includes any work being done by SEA =
in each state chapter as well as CASE, NSPE, ASCE, as well as work done =
by Universities and private institutions.
Please don't think that your comments are taken lightly, the list is the =
potential platform for the a advancement of our profession. It needs the =
proper direction and assistance in maintaining that direction for the =
betterment of structural engineering around the world.

Dennis Wish PE