RE: signing plans by others

From:	Lynn Howard [SMTP:lhoward(--nospam--at)silcom.com]
This is a very informal list.  Especially for some of the
engineers who
work in very small offices, this is more than just a way to
exchange
technical information.
[Dennis S. Wish PE]  So aptly put, Lynn. The SEAOC Listservice
has provided a source of peer review and assistance to my
practice that I was never able to obtain living in a major city.
I believe it is because we are afraid to pick up a phone or go
into one or our competitors offices and ask for advice. The list
has created a channel of active participating small office (and
large) support teams that provide a service to one another that
is essential to the progress of our practices.
I am amazed at times how much support I have received and how
much I have learned from the particpants on this list. You can
also consider it from this aspect. I, for one, spent most of my
experience years working in Aerospace - which was not that
challenging to me (a facility engineer). After leaving
Aerospace, I entered the private sector specializing in URM
retrofit and wood framing. Although I have had an extensive
background in seismic and unreinforced masonry, I lack many
skills that I need to learn as I go along. This list fills the
void by providing a similar education to me in much the same way
as gaining work experience from hundreds of engineers. We can,
not only learn from each other, but have the ability to
diseminate information from multiple sources and use our own
judgement to determine what is best or correct to solve our
particular problem.
Gee, maybe they ought to give continuing education credits to
those on the list!
I think I can put up with the HP48 vs 41 discussions - it does
bring back some nostalga in much the same way as our first slide
rule (admittedly mine came three years before the first Royal
four function Calculator for $100.00).
There will be many more times for the complacency to change to
passionate debates - just enjoy the peace for a little while
until things heat up.
Welcome to the List.
Dennis Wish PE

BTW, does anyone have any information regarding SEAOC's efforts
to promote continuing education requirements for contractor
licensing. I heard of this today and found out that it is not
commonly known. This is such an important issue that we need to
back SEAOC and offer support to move this agenda ahead.
Please respond by starting a new thread with a new subject
header.
Thanks
Dennis