Re: AN - Holdown Placement

Ken,
I ran this question by the list some month back and since that time I have
stopped specifying Holddowns in each direction where two shear panels
converge at a corner.
It is common to have two shear panels converge at a corner. It is not an
easy task to provide holddowns for each direction and most engineers choose
to install only one (the larger uplift) to handle both walls. The force is
directed through the post by virtue of the panels nailing, however, the
eccentricity to the centerline of the HD bolt is the same - regardless of
direction  of force.
The holddown does not know what direction the force is comming from and the
eccentricity of the anchor is considered into the design of the HD's. The
only important issue is to make sure that the sheathed panel is securely
nailed to the post containing the holddown and that the post lies in the
plane of both walls. If the corner is designed with built-up studs rather
than a 4x or wider post, make sure that the panels are nailed to stud(s)
connected to the HD. To clarify, sometimes a framer will lay in three studs
in one direction and two in the other. He will connect the HD's to the inner
two studs (the inner stud is used to nail off interior gypsum) rather than
bolt through all three studs. Sometimes there is a spacer block betwee the
outtermost two studs. In this case if the edge of the panel is nailed to the
outter stud, the panel can not transfer enough force to the studs used to
resist uplift. Make sure that the edge nailing occurs at the studs with the
holddown installed.
I have verified this same questions with Simpson and Harlen who agree that
the holddown does not have to be in the plane of the wall.

The only other caution I have is to make sure you that the depth of the SSTB
is correct for a monolithic or dual pour condition. I have had situations
where the contractor did a dual pour without following the plans.

Dennis Wish PE