BSSC Second Ballot on NEHRP Guidelines for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Existin

Please  note the correction in the wording of  the "Subject:" Second Ballot
on NEHRP Guidelines for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings."
and the name of Building Seismic Safety Council, not Building Seismic Safety
Commission in this email message.

To Whom It May Concern:

The Building Seismic Safety Council Member Organization Ballot: Second Ballot
on the NEHRP Guidelines for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings
is due July 28, 1997.

If anyone who reads this message has or knows someone who has voting
authority for the "Second Ballot on the NEHRP Guidelines for the Seismic
Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings", I ask them to give consideration to
attaching the following wording or similar wording to their Second Ballot
transmittal letter due July 28, 1997.

"I recommend that the cover of the Guidelines cover be labeled "INTERIM"
until such time that adequate levels of independent review and case studies
have been completed, and responses to recommendations from these reviews and
case studies have been incorporated into a future version of the Guidelines."

BSSC plans to spend over $2.8 million on case studies based on the final 1997
Version of the "NEHRP Guidelines for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing
Buildings."  Until these case studies are completed and independently
reviewed, in my judgment, it is premature to consider these Guidelines as
final and fully usable, except in a preliminary manner.

Please pass the above message along to anyone who might have voting
authority, is a member of the BSSC Board of Directors or might be concerned
with the subject Guidelines.

The address for Building Seismic Safety Council is 1201 L. Street NW, Suite
400, Washington, DC 2005.  No known email address.

Thank you for your consideration of the above message.

Frank E. McClure     FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com