Re: AN - Holdown Placement

Ken -

We do lots of residential work, and always accept the condition you are
describing.  Our assumption is that the plywood edge nailing delivers the
axial overturning load to the end post of the shear wall (the 4x4 in your
case), which in turn delivers it to the holddown and anchor bolt.  We do not
consider the slight eccentricity from the edge of the plywood to the center
of the post to be an issue.  Therefore, it doesn't matter which face the HD
is bolted to.  As to your use of single HD's at intersecting walls, we do
this as well, but sometimes special detailing is required at interior or
doublesided wall conidtions so that you get the proper edge nailing to the
post.  These conditions are a good reason for the new structural observation
requirements.

Good luck,

Bruce Resnick