Re: Wood on Steel Studs

I have read some of the replies to your query and I would caution you to
research this topic carefully.  Here in LA, the City is VERY reluctant to
approve any plywood over metal studs for earthquake design.  The big hang up
seems to be getting approved fasteners.  Also, the studs appear to twist due
to the eccentric load from the plywood so the values are relatively low.  The
City of LA issued an Inter-departmental Correspondence, dated 11-28-95 and
12-4-95B, for light gauge steel construction, which requires that all studs
which are part of the lateral system to be 14 gage, that all screw connectors
be tested, and a bunch of other stuff.  Lastly, Angeles Metal Systems can be
reached at 213-268-1777 or 916-383-4192 according to my catalog.

Good luck

Bruce Resnick