CMU

I had a similar experience a few years ago with a gymnasium building.  The
building was gabled with 26' eave height.  Although the numbers worked our
for 8" CMU we couldn't get comfortable with it.  Also coundn't get
comfortable with using 12" CMU on a wall that the calculations say could be
8".  Our answer was 10" block.  On the gabled ends where the wall got taller
we did go to masonry pilasters with 8" CMU spanning between.  Created a
tricky corner going from 10" to 8".