Re: anchor bolts

<<  I would like to know in anchor bolt design whether the threads are
in the shear plane or excluded from the shear plane.  What is the general
rule of thumb about threads that are in the shear plane or excluded from the
shear plane?

        Thanks for your help,

Jon Turner

Using Section 1925 of the 1994 UBC, you can do calcs for anchors with the
threads in the shear plane or not in the shear plane.  I believe that the
values in Table 19-E are good for anchors that have the threads included in
the shear plane.  AISC 9th edition and other sources list the allowable shear
capacity for bolts to be 0.17 Fu if the shear is taken across the threads,
and 0.22 Fu when the threads are excluded from the shear plane.
Hope that helps.

Howard Silverman, P.E.
Covert Operations, Inc.
Epoxy and Undercut Anchoring Systems