Re: Bridge Questions

> I am working on rehabilitating two bridges that were built in the late
forty's.  I need to know what the material strengths might be.  The original
plans state structural or intermediate grade reinforcing steel A.S.T.M. 15-39
or rail steel bars A.S.T.M. A16-35. <

For grades of steel used in the past, refer to CRSI Engineering Data Report
No. 11.  Structural Grade had a specified yield of 33 ksi; Intermediate Grade
had a specified yield of 40 ksi; and rail steel had a specified grade of 50
ksi.

> The plans also call for class A and class B concrete, I'm not sure what
these were in the forty's. <

The classes of concrete were likely defined in the original construction
specifications - without the specs, it's anybody's guess.  (I'd assume 3000
psi minimum for structural concrete, or have it tested.)