Re: CMU

At 08:16 AM 7/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Mark -
>
>Thanks for your response.  A couple of more thoughts if I may.  (As you can
>tell I've spent some time thinking about this issue.)
>
><<The out-of-plane connection we have successfully used to TJI's is a pair of
>holdowns each side of the TJI web which has been reinforced with a solid web
>stiffener each side of the web.  The web stiffener is usually flush to the
>outside edge of the top and bottom chords.  The stiffener is attached with
>glue (APA approved glue or glue used by joist manufacturer) and screwed
>through the TJI web into the stiffener on the opposite side.  The screws from
>both sides provide a clamping force to provide better bonding between the web
>and web stiffeners.>>
>
>Does TrusJoist mind that you are taking your shear force through the glued
>connection between the web and the top flange of their joist?  Does it create
>any reduction in the vertical load capacity of the joist?  Have you used this
>in LA?

Mark,

	Let me add another concern.  From my conversation with TJI technical
support, the web of TJI joists is glued to the the flanges, and splice of
the web can occur anywhere along the length of the joist (could be 36
inches away from the end).  So in addition to gluing and screwing of the
stiffener, you need to check the connection of the web to the flanges.
Otherwise you connection may slide right out.
	Check with your local tech rep for the adhesion values, here in Northern
California these guys are very knowledgeable and helpfull.  Also keep in
mind that if you don't specify in your spec that the manufactured joists
are to be TrusJoist Macmillan then the architect is free to choose a
cheaper substitution. The quality and the capacity values vary
significantly with different manufacturers.

Regards,

Sasha Itsekson, P.E.
Huntington Design Associates, Inc.
Oakland, CA