Re: CMU

PRSE(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> For my own curiosity, how are you making your out-of-plane connection to the TJI's now that the "standard" connection seems to be a pair of horizontal holddowns to a 4x member to satisfy the latest LA City requirements?  What are you doing at the parallel framing condition?

Parallel framing condition:

I've handled this two different ways in the past, one with TJI blocking
which has a filler on each face of web through which the dbl. hd's bolt.
The filler is nailed to web of TJI block. These blocks are carried far
enough into the diaphragm to transfer load to the diaphragm (strapped
across joists, nailed to diaphragm).

The other way is with a single hd lagged into the bottom of a 4x6 block,
again the blocks are carried far enough into the diaphragm to transfer
load to the diaphragm. This detail uses a single hd, the other detail
uses a double hd.

Regards,

Mark D. Baker
Baker Engineering