RE: Bridge Questions

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:00:14 -0400  chris towne wrote:
>I am working on rehabilitating two bridges that were built in the late
>forty's.  I need to know what the material strengths might be.  The
>original plans state structural or intermediate grade reinforcing steel
>A.S.T.M. 15-39 or rail steel bars A.S.T.M. A16-35.  The plans also call
>for class A and class B concrete, I'm not sure what these were in the
>forty's.

The Class A and B concretes would have their strengths defined by the state codes of that time.  Your best
bet there is to contact the state DOT responsible and see if you can find someone who can get the answers
for you.

The rebar grade is most likely 40 ksi.

>I also have a question about timber piles.  Can you drive steel piles
>through them (or at least drill through) or is it cheaper to remove
>them?  Just in case you are wondering, they're about 41 feet long.

Remove them.  You'll have a tough time trying to drive through them.

Nigel Mends, PE