Re: Bridge Questions

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, chris towne wrote:

> I am working on rehabilitating two bridges that were built in the late
> forty's.  I need to know what the material strengths might be.  The
> original plans state structural or intermediate grade reinforcing steel
> A.S.T.M. 15-39 or rail steel bars A.S.T.M. A16-35.  The plans also call
> for class A and class B concrete, I'm not sure what these were in the
> forty's.

You might try getting a copy of "Manual for Condition Evaluation of
Bridges", 1994, AASHTO.

> Does anyone know of a cheap or free program that finds live load moments
> and shears for a continuous 5 span bridge?  Nothing fancy, just moments
> and shears for one design lane.  I would like to double check the
> program I am running now.

Try PCBRIDGE, a Moving Loads Continuous Beam BRIDGE analysis program
For the IBM Personal Computer.

It's a shareware program by Joe Murphy
                            P.O. Box 56164
                            Madison,  WI  53705
                            (608) 274-1946
Ed.S.
Edwin R. Schmeckpeper, P.E., Ph.D.
Department of Civil Engineering                   Phone  : (208) 885-6702
University of Idaho                               FAX    : (208) 885-6608
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1022                          E-Mail : eds(--nospam--at)uidaho.edu