Bolted steel connections -- flame-cut holesl

I'm working on strengthening of a 1898 steel frame building.  "Carnegie" is
rolled
into the structural steel members.  The testing lab has advised that the
chemistry
of the steel is not compatible with the modern welding process; I've designed
all connections to existing steel to be bolted.  The steel is HARD; some
cannot be drilled with hand-held equipment.  The contractor is using
mag-drills and that is working O.K.  However, some holes are not accessible
to the mag-drill equipment.  The contractor is proposing to flame cut the
holes 1/8" undersize and to ream to
the specified size; no flame-cut edges are to remain in the hole.  Is there
any problem with this procedure?

What about using slip critical high strength bolting?  Is there any advantage
or disadvantage considering that the connection is secured by clamping remote
from the hole rather than by bearing on the hole?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer