Re: win95

From: SWJanitor(--nospam--at)aol.com <SWJanitor(--nospam--at)aol.com>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Saturday, August 02, 1997 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: win95

>Good, I'm glad you resolved the problem without going into the registry.
the
>registry is one of the most delicate things on your computer.... I'm
>convinced it's a Communist Plot to take over America...
>
>James Barr
>Structural Engineer first,
>Software Development Manager second
>Intergraph Corporation.

Contrary to many, I believe that the registry is one of the untapped
resources that can teach you the key to working within Windows 95. It is
very true that one mistake can screw up your machine, but I with a little
caution and proper backup, you should be encouraged to take a trip through
the registry without fear.
In your post you mentioned that simply removing the program shortcut from
the start menu did not stop the program from running. Later you discovered
that the program launched from the Task Scheduler.
One area that you missed is that programs still get launched from the INI
files. 16 bit software especially, still runs the old 3.1 way. So don't
discount the Win.ini and System.ini files for information related to
programs you are running.
For those of you corragious enough to try, there is one book that I picked
up at Crown Books. Unfortunately, I lent the book to a friend and don't
remember the exact title. I is something like "Exploring the power of the
Windows 95 Registry". It should not be hard to find since it is the only
book devoted to the Registry available. It is very informative and even
explains those endlessly long coded numbers - which are actually random
names chosen by a random generator which is available.
There are many ways to tweak out Windows and a little education in how the
registry works is a tremendous tool for learning how to get the most from
your system and how to recover when disaster strikes.  Many GPF errors, for
example occur because of duplicate lines in the registry or information that
remains in the registry from programs that had been removed. Some software
is not so clean when removing their programs - they may leave references to
files that no longer exist. Don't discount the registry as the perpetrator
for many of the General Protection Fault errors that lock up your system.
On the side, there is an excellent free-ware program available that will
search the registry for problems and then remove them. I found that it works
great, but if it removes the wrong thing, don't worry it creates an REG file
that when clicked on, automatically puts the commands back into the
registry. The program is called RegClean 4.1 ( REGCLEAN.EXE) and you should
be able to find it on the ZiffDavis or Microsoft Web sites - I suggest
searching FTP sites for it as well.
Therefore, rather than steer you away from the Registry, I recommend you
look through it and read some of the tips in different Computer magazines
(or on the Ziff-Davis web site) which will give you an understanding how it
all works.  If you are a one man office like mine, you can't afford to rely
upon outside computer consultants to come to the rescue, you need to know
how to do it yourself. Don't be afraid to learn - just use some common sense
and keep a backup in a safe place.

Dennis Wish PE