Re: Advice

My favorite topic.

Anyone following this list service for any amount of time should come
to the conclusion that there is NO benefit to passing the SE exam in
California, a state where there has been significant structural damage
due to earthquakes. Therefore, I cannot believe there would be any
significance to passing a similar exam in other states that allow PEs
to practice structural engineering.

I passed the exam when I was working for someone else. When I got
my results, my boss gave me a quarter an hour raise. This company
primarily designs bridges which require SEs to sign plans!!

I have since realized that the time I spent preparing for and taking the
SE exam would have been better spent working on my golf game.

So, how many out there thought I was going to let this one pass?

Regards,
Bill Allen
----------
> From: nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net
> To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
> Subject: RE: Advice
> Date: Tuesday, August 05, 1997 2:25 PM
>

> On Tue, 05 Aug 1997 16:47:44 -0700  Michael D Zaitz wrote:
> >I am wondering what would be the best route for me to go for
> >registration.
> [...]
>   There
> >does not seem to be any restrictions on the practice of structural
> >engineering with a SE versus a PE (civil).  Will this possibly restrict
> >me later on?
> [...]
>
> If I were doing it, I'd go ahead and get the PE first, because that's an
easier exam, then go for the SE
> later.  It may not make much difference in Georgia now, but that's likely
to change in the future, and it
> would help you out if you do work in other states.  We don't have the SE
here at all, so I haven't messed
> with it, and in my government job it doesn't much matter, anyway, but if
I were in private practice I'd