Re: Advice on PE vs SE

> There does not seem to be any restrictions on the practice of structural
engineering with a SE versus a PE (civil).  Will this possibly restrict me
later on?  If I took the civil and passed, then later worked in a
multi-disciplined firm, after becoming familiar with say site layout, could I
then seal plans for them w/o retaking the test?  Is there any distinguishing
difference between an SE and PE in Georgia?  Elsewhere? <

I don't know much about Georgia, but in the short term I would recommend
getting the PE (Civil) license first - it will be the most versatile for
general work and reciprocity with other states.  However, in the longer term I
would suggest getting both, as limits may become more prevalent on how each
license can be used.

Some states require a civil license before getting a structural license,
others treat each as independent licenses, and some states won't even consider
structural experience as valid towards getting a civil license, so there is no
set "rule".