Re: Advice

To Mike Zaitz:

"Little steps for little feet!"  And with that, I go along with
other posts suggesting that you take the Civil exam first.  This
is what I did here in Arizona many years ago.  The Arizona
structural exam is (was) 16 hours long, with the first 8 hours
being the Civil exam (with enough structural questions to permit
someone without "Civil" experience to pass) and the Structural
exam 8 hours above the Civil (still 8 hours short of California's
requirements).  (I was able to claim "Civil" experience because I
had worked for highway departments, albeit in their bridge
divisions.)

What does getting registered as a Structural get you?  Maybe a
raise, maybe not, but it does tell *others* that you have been
examined in Structural Engineering and have demonstrated to the
State that you possess a minimum amount of knowledge so that you
*should* be able to design a safe structure.  Would being
registered as a Civil tell others the same thing?  I think not.
(What does being registered as a Civil tell *others* about your
knowledge in *any* area?  Nothing, really.)

The end result is that you should engage in that area of
engineering in which you are *competent*, regardless of what your
registration shows.  While I have a Civil stamp and a Structural
stamp, I don't think that I have used my Civil stamp a dozen
times in the past 35 years, and then it was only when the "Civil"
aspect was very minor and incidental to the project.

So, take the Civil test first and clear that hurdle, then take
the Structural test and demonstrate that you have a minimum
amount of structural engineering knowledge satisfactory to the
State of Georgia.

Good Luck!

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona