3-10% error in nail tables

There has been some discussion of conflicting values in the code with respect
to nail values, which vary by 3 to 10 percent, and the resulting problems if
liability were an issue.

Does anyone really believe that our design is so tight that if the nails were
only 90% of what we thought they were, the design would fail?

A lot of engineers get excited by variability on the analysis/ capacity end,
when in fact the gross variability is on the demand side -- estimating the
chaotic forces of nature.

Brian Veit, P.E.