RE: 3-10% error in nail tables

From:	BVeit(--nospam--at)aol.com [SMTP:BVeit(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent:	Wednesday, August 06, 1997 11:56 AM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	3-10% error in nail tables

There has been some discussion of conflicting values in the code
with respect
to nail values, which vary by 3 to 10 percent, and the resulting
problems if
liability were an issue.

Does anyone really believe that our design is so tight that if
the nails were
only 90% of what we thought they were, the design would fail?

A lot of engineers get excited by variability on the analysis/
capacity end,
when in fact the gross variability is on the demand side --
estimating the
chaotic forces of nature.

Brian Veit, P.E.

[Dennis S. Wish PE]  Personally, I agree with Brian. However, in
light of the liability issue, any evidence which can be used
against the engineer is accumulated. Therefore, the question is
still valid. If all of the errors in code appeared in one
structure which caused a failure by the culmination of all
errors, who would be at fault.
Is the engineer who followed the code, and the building official
that accepted the code liable for the failure when the letter of
the code was adhered to - even it each letter was incorrect?
Lastly, what right does ICBO have to collect a fee for a
publication with known errors and then to charge for the
correction list? In another post I compared this to creating a
software with many bugs and then charging a fee to correct the
problem. How about selling you a car and then charging you extra
for the ignition key????
Sound ludicrous? So does charging for Errata's.

Dennis Wish PE